While seeking the “fountain of youth” has been the subject of countless fairy tales and other mystical stories, researchers may be closer than ever to unlocking the science behind the idea of reversing the aging process on a cellular level. In fact, researchers at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies have already reversed the aging process in mice, as well as human cells in vitro.
So what are the implications of these exciting findings, and how can you take a more active role in the health and appearance of your body and skin?
How Your Cells Can Turn Back Time
Groundbreaking research that has been published in Cell has linked the aging process with the change in cell activity levels. Cell activity regulators in genes are either added or removed, depending on a wide range of factors that occur throughout life. Such things as smoking and exposure to air pollution and UV rays can contribute to a decline in cell activity, which, in turn, accelerates the aging process.
This research has shown promising evidence, however, that scientists may have the ability to manipulate cell activity regulators to reverse the aging process by causing activity to increase instead of decrease.
In mice, researchers have already successfully activated four different genes, resulting in a “rejuvenating” effect on damaged cells. Even more interestingly, scientists were able to prolong the lifespan of a mouse with Hutchinson–Gilford progeria syndrome, a rare genetic mutation that causes rapid aging .
The Effect of Lifestyle Choices on Aging
Another aspect of this research highlights the very large negative impact that environmental factors have on the aging process. In fact, studies have shown that only about 10 percent of skin aging is due to genetic expression . The other 90 percent has to do with your lifestyle habits.
Being diligent about daily sun protection is one the best ways that you can positively affect your skin’s health and appearance, as sun damage accounts for 80 percent of signs of skin aging . Additionally, eating a healthy, balanced diet and minimizing sugar intake can help to slow the aging process of the skin. It will also protect your cells if you avoid smoking and other sources of pollution.
Reverse the Effects of Aging with Skin Care
As anti-aging research continues to advance, more and more exciting possibilities will undoubtedly become available to the masses. In the meantime, however, you can take a more active role in your overall health and even help to stave off the natural aging process by adopting positive lifestyle and skin care habits.
Although there are millions of different anti-aging skin care options out there, it’s important to look for products that contain ingredients that have been shown to deliver the skin-nourishing results you want. AminoGenesis Wrinkle Arrest with SPF 30, for example, contains a potent blend of 17 plant-derived amino acids to aid in collagen synthesis within the skin. The result is a smoother, more youthful-looking complexion, while protecting your skin from future damage with SPF 30.
The AminoGenesis Control collection also relies on innovative formulas to help reverse the signs of facial aging while protecting against future skin damage. A.G.E. Control is one such anti-glycation product that has been shown to improve the appearance of overall facial fatigue by an astounding 44 percent. It works by slowing and even reversing the process of glycation, whereby sugar molecules bind to and damage proteins like collagen. This is why eating too much sugar can be so detrimental to your skin’s health and appearance.
While researchers certainly seem to be getting closer to discovering the long sought-after “fountain of youth,” the truth is that you have much more control over your health and aging than you might think. By adjusting your lifestyle and skin care habits, you can have a profound effect on not only your skin’s smooth, radiant appearance, but also its natural aging process and longevity.