Unfortunately, many people feel that once they hit a certain age, there are no longer any skin care products and tips that can restore a brighter, smoother, and younger-looking complexion. This couldn’t be farther from the truth. In fact, research shows that only about 10 percent of signs of aging are genetic . The other 90 percent is associated with external factors like sun exposure, air pollution, and your lifestyle and skin care habits.
If you’d like to improve the appearance of your skin, no matter your age, know that it’s never too late to adjust your skin care routine to give your skin the boost of nourishment and hydration that it needs to look and feel its absolute best. Here are a few tips for skin care in your 70s and beyond to help you get and maintain healthy, radiant skin.
Keep Skin Hydrated
As we age, the amount of natural oils on our skin begins to decline. This can leave the skin feeling very dry and dehydrated, which can, in turn, accentuate the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and sagging skin.
Be sure to use a high-quality moisturizer frequently throughout the day, and avoid using other skin care products that can dry your skin. Foaming cleansers and most bar soaps, for example, are not good choices for dry skin because they remove natural oils. Instead, use a gentler moisturizing cleanser such as AminoGenesis Really, Really Clean. This face wash contains a powerful blend of 17 plant-derived amino acids to nourish the skin while also gently cleansing it.
Use the Right Day Cream
With so many options available, choosing a day cream can be a headache. Look for a product that offers hydration, sun protection, and anti-aging benefits. AminoGenesis Wrinkle Arrest with SPF 30 is an excellent example of this type of 3-in-1 product. It’s gentle enough to be applied throughout the day, yet powerful enough to both hydrate and smooth away lines and wrinkles. And because it contains SPF 30, you know that your skin will be protected from future signs of sun damage.
Skin exfoliation has its purposes, but too much of a good thing can be detrimental. Keep in mind, too, that there are a variety of types of exfoliation, so even though you may not be taking a rough loofah to your skin on a regular basis, some of the ingredients in your skin care products could be exfoliants.
The trouble with this is that the skin becomes thinner with age and therefore more prone to irritation and damage . As a result, using harsh exfoliants on thinning skin can actually make matters worse.
Choose a Less Irritating Anti-Aging Cream
Many anti-aging creams contain retinoids, which, although they can offer many skin benefits, are known to cause irritation. Again, this is especially a concern for those with thinning, dry, or very sensitive skin. If you’re noticing redness, flaking, or other signs of irritation when using a retinoid-based product, consider switching to a gentler anti-aging cream like AminoGenesis A.G.E. Control.
This is an anti-glycation serum that helps to slow and even reverse the effects of glycation on the skin. Glycation, a process in which sugar molecules attach to and damage proteins like collagen and elastin, is responsible for accelerating nearly every sign of aging . The patented A.G.E. Control formula helps to reverse the effects of glycation and other environmental stressors on the skin to reveal a smoother, younger, and healthier-looking complexion.
Healthy Body, Healthy Skin
While upgrading your skin care routine to better benefit mature skin, remember to also make a few healthy lifestyle changes to positively impact your overall health as well as your skin. Eat plenty of foods rich in amino acids and antioxidants, get regular exercise, and practice good sun protection habits every day for your best skin yet–at any age!