AminoGenesis Wrinkle Arrest Day Cream SPF 30 ($59.95, AminoGenesis.com) is the must-have product of Summer 2015. Complete with firming and hydrating amino acids, camellia oil, and a stabilized sunscreen, it provides anti-aging treatment and protection in one cosmetic-friendly formula. For more, read on…
Why You Need a Moisturizer with Sunscreen
“But Ron,” some of you may say. “I already have a foundation with sunscreen, and a powder with sunscreen. I don’t need more!”
Oh, but you do.
You see, the average face is about 600cm2. This means the average person needs to put on 1.2g of facial powder or 1.5 mL of foundation every 4-6 hours to receive, and maintain, the level of SPF protection stated on the product’s label.
However, most women only apply about 0.085g of powder or 1.0 mL of foundation at a time! This means:
- Any powder product requires about 14 times the amount of normal powder application to receive the SPF listed on the package.
- Any concealer product requires about 3 times the amount of normal powder application to receive the SPF listed on the package.
In other words, you absolutely need a moisturizer with sunscreen! Given that UV rays are responsible for enhancing glycation within the skin, you are practically asking for aged collagen (and hence droopy, wrinkled, thin skin) if you don’t use a separate sunscreen formula!
What About the Other Ingredients?
- Camellia oil may stimulate collagen production, resulting in less wrinkled, more firm skin. Researchers in a 2007 study in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology tested the effects of camellia oil on collagen production. In the study, camellia oil was shown to stimulate collagen production by activating a promoter in DNA, starting production of type 1 collagen.
- On the other hand, Camellia oil may prevent collagen breakdown by inhibiting an enzyme that breaks down collagen, metalloproteinase (MMP)-1.
- The study also indicated that the skin may become more hydrated with Camellia use as well. Skin treated with the oil had less transepidermal water loss (TEWL) than skin that was not treated.
- Homosalate may help limit inflammation, resulting in reduced redness in the skin (European Journal of Pharmacology). It’s also so effective that it is one of the active ingredients in the standard sunscreen formulation the FDA uses to test the SPF of other sunscreens (FDA).
- Avobenzone is a very common sunscreen ingredient. It works by taking UV light and converting it into energy that isn’t harmful. Avobenzone protects moderately well against both UVA and UVB rays.
- Octisalate is a photostabilizer used to reduce the degradation of avobenzone (JAAD).
- Octocrylene is an avobenzone stabilizer that provides further UVB protection (Free Radical Research, 2010).
AminoGenesis Wrinkle Arrest Day Cream SPF 30 ($59.95, AminoGenesis.com) is a must-have sunscreen, with 17 amino acids, stabilized sunscreen, and skin-firming camellia oil. It’s a formula to protect your skin from all assaults!